Category Archives: Community

Damages Cap Ruled Unconstitutional

from AAJ President Mary Alice McLarty   Twenty years. That’s how long it took to overrule the Missouri precedent set by Adams v. Children’s Mercy Hospital (1992) and strike down a statute that set a hard cap of $350,000 on non-economic damages in medical malpractice cases.   At the core of this outstanding victory isContinue Reading

FDA names one source of cantaloupe in ongoing salmonella probe.

In continuing coverage, the Wall Street Journal (8/24, A2, Tomson, Subscription Publication) reports that the Food and Drug Administration announced it has identified the Chamberlain Farms of Owensville, Indiana, as one source of the salmonella outbreak linked to cantaloupe, which has thus far, resulted in two deaths and at least 176 people becoming ill.Continue Reading

FDA warns supplements contain dangerous drugs.

In continuing coverage, ABC News (8/24, Neporent) reports on its website that the FDA has issued another Safety Warning about “Reumofan and Reumofan Plus,” which are marketed as “natural dietary supplements for treating arthritis, muscle pain, osteoporosis, bone cancer, and other conditions.” The agency said the supplements contain “several potentially dangerous ingredients that areContinue Reading

Law Schools Need to be Truthful

For more than a year I have been writing about and discussing with law students, recent graduates and law school Deans the need to tell law students the truth about job prospects and to change the curriculum so that law graduates are prepared to survive after they pass the bar. Some law schools are actuallyContinue Reading

It is time for the cheerleader moms

I spent 18 years of my life serving on our local school board. During that time, I witnesses first hand the struggles of young women wanting to be recognized as equals when it comes to varsity sports. Much progress has been made. This progress is in large part due to the commitment of parents andContinue Reading

Remembering how the US flipped Hitler the Bird

Today in history marks day in 1936 when Jesse Owens won the 1st of 4 Gold medals in 100 m @ the Berlin Olympics in front of “The Master Racist” Adolf Hitler and his Aryan fanatics. OLYMPIC COMMENTARY/JOKES “I don’t care about the Olympics. It’s like watching gym.”—Bill Maher “The Olympics would be better ifContinue Reading

Supreme Court upholds Obama health care plan

Supreme Court upholds Obama health care plan Comments 17 By David Jackson, USA TODAY Updated 4m ago CAPTIONBy Charles Dharapak, AP The Supreme Court upheld the health care law today in a splintered, complex opinion that appears to give President Obama a major victory. Basically. the justices said that while Congress did overreach in partContinue Reading